Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sewing Fail.

As I mentioned in my last post, I got a sewing machine for my birthday! I have been SO excited to get all crafty and create beautiful things with it. I talked to a friend of mine who recently started sewing as well, and she told me about her very first project: an adorable duffle bag! So I thought to myself, "I have to have one!!"

On Sunday, I drove over to Joann's to find the pattern and pick out some cute fabric for my new duffle bag. I could already picture in my mind what it would look like. This was so exciting!

I confidently walked over to the table with the catalogs of patterns and flipped through the pages until I found the one I wanted. It was even cuter in the picture than what I had imagined! My mind was racing with thoughts like, "Everyone is going to love my new bag...maybe I could sew them for Christmas presents! Or-even better-I could sell them and make a fortune!" Can't you just hear my mind squealing with excitement???

By this point, I was flipping through the stacks of patterns in the drawer (aren't you impressed I even knew how to locate a pattern?). And finally, there it was in my hands, the pattern I'd been looking for!

Okay, here goes Fail #1:

 The pattern cost $18.95.

Really?

It's not that $18.95 is really that much money. I just have a really hard time paying $18.95 for TISSUE PAPER! Guess I needed a reality check about how much sewing costs. I thought it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to buying things?
I talked myself into getting over the cost of the pattern and turned it over to figure out how much material I would need.

And that was Fail #2:

 Did anyone ever tell you they write the pattern description and instructions in Greek? Seriously! I stood there a good 15 minutes studying it and I couldn't make heads or tails.

Needless to say, I stuffed my pride into the drawer with the pattern and left the store empty handed.

Well, that's not completely true. I picked up a "Learn to Sew With Joann!" brochure on my way out...


~SMurph~

3 comments:

  1. HILARIOUS!!!! (Didn't know you had this blog.....don't know how to sign up to comment, so this is from anonymous....love, your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi! I'm cracking up! My duffle bag pattern was $4!!! I do not know how in the world you found one for 18 but girl you got expensive taste!!

    I'll gladly lend you mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same experience with a pattern for an apron a few weeks ago. The pattern would cost $16, and it insisted I needed at least 3 yards of fabric. I wasn't about to spend $30 on an apron.

    ReplyDelete