Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Recap

We had four Christmases this year. That's right, FOUR!

#1: Murphy Christmas
Marty, Cindy, and Jon made the long drive cross-country to spend a few days with us! A few highlights of our time together were going to Babe's Chicken then watching the Christmas lights in Frisco, Penzeys Spices (Cindy's first trip!), and a game called "Words of Wis-dumb" which is not a game for the faint of heart. Or those easily offended. We had many great laughs that night, and learned a lot about each other. I'm still deciding if this was good or bad. :)

#2: "Our" Christmas
Matt and I wanted to have a special time together to open our gifts from each other. We both had a hard time shopping (both lack of time, and wanting to shop for each other together) so we just got a couple things and saved the rest of our money. Or so I thought... This Christmas mainly taught me what a selfish jerk I am, as my darling had secretly been saving his "allowance" money for several months to buy me the one thing I REALLY wanted (a Kindle Fire). With the money he saved, he was able to almost double our budgeted amount for each other. *slaps forehead* "Why didn't I think of that???" Again, he is so much more thoughtful than his dreadful wife.

#3 Stagl Christmas
We travelled to Wichita for this one. Both of us were able to get off work early on Friday so we didn't have to drive late into the night like we usually do. How lovely! Justin and Kari also made the drive so we got to spend Christmas all together at Mom and Dad's. Highlight of this Christmas was definitely Mom and Dad's gift to each other. They've been married nearly 30 years (October 23, 1982) and decided that they were way past due for a wedding ring upgrade. The coolest part was that they were able to very closely match their original ring designs....just bigger and better. I'm thankful for their example of a marriage for us. They've had some rough times, but they haven't made it to 30 years on their own, and I'm so glad to have their godly example.

And finally...

#4 Kihle Family Christmas
This one took place at my Grandmother's house (also in Wichita). Every year for as long as I can remember we have drawn names for our gift exchange. We all gathered Christmas Afternoon to exchange gifts, then have our traditional Norwegian meal: Lefse and Lutefisk (and some Meatballs for those of us who are a little afraid of the Lutefisk). Highlights of this Christmas were the time spent making Lefse together at my Aunt and Uncle's house, and a conversation I had with one of my Cousins.

I sincerely hope that each one of you had a wonderful Christmas season, and that you were able to spent it surrounded by people you love!

~SMurph~

No comments:

Post a Comment